The 2019 Block Party application is available! click here
The Jumping Jack Application isn’t available until late winter and is limited to Saturday or Sunday Residential Block Parties. Please check this website for its availability. We’ll also notify you via our newsletter. You must submit the application online. Requests are on first-come-first-served basis and fill up very quickly. Consider planning a Sunday Block Party if having a Jumping Jack is important to you.
Residents may apply to our office to close off their street for a block party. See rules further below. The street closure permits are issued by the Chicago Department of Transportation. For the application package click here and then bring in the completed forms in person to the ward office. If this is the first time your block has held a party or if you have not held one in the past two years, we ask that you circulate a petition among your neighbors demonstrating support for the event.
We encourage you to submit your application at least 30 days in advance, as permits are issued on a first-come first-served basis. This will also allow plenty of time to plan your event and notify residents. Our office can supply “No Parking” signs once the event is permitted. Although we receive few complaints, we do request that you give your neighbors notice well in advance of your street closure.
The Block Party permit allows residents to close the block to traffic, but the city does NOT provide other services, (ie. Street cleaning and barricades). Applicant may ask neighbors to remove their cars, however the city does not require, nor enforce the removal of cars.
You may also request a visit from a Fire Truck. This will not be confirmed as the fire fighters are on duty and may not be available.
As Halloween is traditionally a holiday that is widely celebrated in the 47th Ward, this is the only time we are permitting a second block party permit for any given street. This would be either for one day of the weekend prior to Halloween or on Halloween itself. If Halloween falls on a weekday the street closing will be from 2pm until dusk (approximately 6pm). If you choose to hold your Halloween block party the weekend before Halloween it too must end by dusk. Priority will be given to blocks which haven’t yet had a block party in the year but otherwise Halloween Block Party Permits will be issued on a first-come first-served basis.
Special attention will be made to insure that street closures will not hinder the flow of traffic or emergency vehicles due to the number of one-way streets in the ward.
For any question on these procedures or forms, contact email@example.com or 773-868-4747.
Rules Regarding Block Parties
- Request are taken on a first come, first serve basis from the alderman’s office for the location.
- Permits are not issued for any arterial streets or bus routes.
- Street closure hours at 10AM and 10PM and are not issued for more than one day in succession or to close any street for a commercial purpose.
- No intersection can ever be blocked; permit are only issued for a single block (between intersections).
- In addition to the rules listed above, the Block Party Permit request may be denied by CDOT due to incomplete application, traffic control issues, issues related to other permits issued in the vicinity of the event and public safety concerns.
- Please leave alleys on your street open. Cars should be able to drive into the street to access alleys.
- Flyer every building on the block. Single family homes, 2 & 3 flats & multi-unit buildings, 5-7 days prior to the party.
- Block Parties should be inclusive. No one wants to feel that if they don’t have children there’s no place for them at the party. Involve everyone in planning, creating and executing the day. Need ideas? Call me.
- “No Parking” signs should be up 24-48 hours prior to the party.
Fireworks of any kind are illegal. Future Block Party Permits could be denied due to their presence.
- Your street must be clean and open to traffic no later than 10pm.
We recommend that you flyer your neighbors a week prior to the Block Party and flyer the cars parked on your block a day or two before, as a reminder. It is most important to do this if it’s your block’s first Block Party. See sample flyer below.