2017 Aldermanic Menu Program
Vote for 2017 Menu Projects (due by Feb 5, 2017 11:59PM)
Every year each Chicago ward is allotted $1.32 million to be used for a “menu” of infrastructure maintenance and improvements for each ward. In the 47th Ward, Alderman Pawar strives to make the process for allocating this menu fund as inclusive, participatory and expeditious as possible.
Alderman Pawar invites individuals or groups to complete the 47th Ward Block Audit for their blocks using this online form (to print a copy of the audit form see this PDF). The ward office will review the data from these audits along with data from the City’s 311 system and city departments to create a list of possible public projects for your area. This list will be added to our annual menu vote in January and everyone will have a chance to vote on which projects are most important to them.
While $1.32 million never goes as far as we would like, we want to know which priorities are most important to you and your neighbors. If we are not able to fund all identified projects this year, we will consider them for the following year. We look forward to working together with all of you to ensure that our menu dollars are being spent where they are needed most.
Please complete this audit to the best of your ability. If you have questions, please call or email Jim Poole in my office at 773-549-4462 or email@example.com.
- This audit should be completed by at least one individual familiar with the block being surveyed.
- It can be helpful to complete this packet in small groups so several neighbors may contribute.
- If circumstances on your block greatly change, please send us an email to let us know.
- It is perfectly acceptable to submit more than one audit per block. The results for that block will simply be averaged together.
- You can use this note sheet to take notes ahead of completing the survey.
- If you would like a paper copy of the audit, please visit the 47th Ward Office.
Past Menu Projects
- 2016 Aldermanic Menu
- 2015 Aldermanic Menu
- 2014 Aldermanic Menu
- 2013 Aldermanic Menu
- 2012 Aldermanic Menu
The 47th Ward Menu Selection Process
- Collection (All Times) – project requests are received throughout the year through emails, phone calls, letters, office visits, Ward Nights, etc. – standard service requests (pot hole patching, street/alley light repairs, tree trimming, sidewalk surveys, etc.) are referred directly to 311
- Block Audit Submissions (November/December) – notice is provided through the newsletter (and website) for individuals and groups to perform block audits to report infrastructure-related issues and provide feedback on other related topics – a notes template is provided and submissions can be made through Survey Monkey over the course of a few weeks
- Compilation & Vetting (December/January) – a non-duplicative list of projects from Steps #1 & #2 are compiled and vetted to eliminate some items/locations – in some cases, projects have already been scheduled or funded, there are capital project conflicts, or moratoriums/restrictions are in place
- Voting (January/February) – the list generated from Step #3 and the projects deferred from the previous year (see Step #7) are incorporated into a master voting list – resident participation filling out the Survey Monkey form (or a PDF/hard copy) with desired projects is encouraged through the newsletter and website
- Evaluation and Initial Submission (Spring) – data from Step #4 are evaluated, site surveys are conducted, and Ald. Pawar makes the final decisions on which projects (approx. $1.5M of proposed estimates) to submit to CDOT for funding – CDOT then checks for utility or capital project conflicts and performs a formal engineering study before providing a cost estimate, which Ald. Pawar authorizes before the project is formally approved and added to the list for scheduling by CDOT
- Additional Submissions (Summer and Fall) – if cost estimates come in lower than expected or projects are dropped due to conflicts, additional projects to fill any remainder in the $1.32M menu budget can be submitted by Ald. Pawar and CDOT follows the same process outlined in Step #5
- Deferred List – those items/locations that are not chosen in a given year will be deferred to the following year (see Step #4) for consideration