47th Ward Process for Zoning, Land Use and Development
This process detailed below applies to all development and requests for zoning variances in the 47th ward. In order for your request to be processed by the 47th ward aldermanic office, you must complete all steps.
- Download the Zoning Information Form.If you are unable to download the form you may visit the ward office and request a paper copy.
- The applicant submits the completed Zoning Information Form to email@example.com or by mailing or hand delivering the form to the aldermanic office.
After submitting the competed form, the steps are as follows:
- Every completed form will be published on the 47th ward website and will be made available to the public.
- The alderman will review the Zoning Information Form with the 47th ward Zoning AdvisoryCommittee (ZAC).
**For projects consisting of more than four residential units (considered significant in scope),the developer must reach out to the neighborhood association (or other community group suggested by the alderman) within the impact area and send written notice of such proposed project or zoning variance by U.S. mail to all residents within 200 feet of the proposed development prior to moving forward with steps 3 and 4 below. Community meetings may be required for these projects. (We want to ensure there is public input and that the process is transparent. This step will be fully conducted with direct input of the ZAC and the community). Also the 200 feet requirement may be increased or decreased based on the size/scope of the project.
- The alderman will consult with the ZAC and make a determination on the proposed project orrequest more information.
- The applicant will be informed of the determination and it will be posted on the 47th ward website.
** Elements of this process will evolve as we work with the community to develop the ward council.
All zoning requests require approval from one of two City committees. Most zoning and development matters will go before the City Council Committee on Zoning, Landmarks and Building Standards. If there are issues related to variations from the zoning code, special uses that require review to determine compatibility with adjacent properties, and appeals of decisions made by the Zoning Administrator then these decisions are made by the Zoning Board of Appeals.
Below are the completed Zoning Information Forms on pending projects. All forms will be posted here. Decisions regarding these matters will be posted as: Approved, Denied or Pending.
This section of the website has been developed to increase transparency in the zoning process. We encourage you to view the documents related to proposed projects that require zoning relief. You can also comment on these projets by email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org. For projects that require a community meeting, we will also post your emailed comments under the zoning project (we will redact personal information).