I am excited to be a co-sponsor on Mayor Emanuel’s Urban Agriculture ordinance. This ordinance has the ability to do the following:
- Turn unproductive parcels of land into productive ones
- Create hundreds of jobs city-wide
- Revitalize neighborhoods
- Increase access to fresh foods city-wide
- Decrease food costs city-wide
- Increase demand for land around urban farming initiatives
- Allow restaurants to purchase fish from aquaponic farms and increase access to fresh fish
- Decrease the harsh environmental impacts of shipping food via planes, trains, and trucks
- Increase more sustainable living opportunities for our City
This legislation has a city-wide impact and works to solve problems that impact every ward. In the current economic climate, we have to take bold action to propel communities forward. I believe this legislation is a big step towards improving entire communities.
To learn more about this ordinance, please click on the links below.